Update Wednesday 5:45pm: We spent the day fixing hardware and brought up 7 of the machines that were down. About 90% of the Wayback Machine data is back online now. We do still have a few machines that don’t want to power up again, and will continue to work on getting that remaining data back online as soon as possible.
Update Monday 12PM PT: We should be up now except for a small % of our data (we have a network switch that didn’t make it though the maintenance). About 80% of the data is accessible right now, we should have the other 20% online again some time tomorrow.
Update Monday 8:30AM PT: Power to most of the Wayback machine’s storage servers has not been restored yet. Engineers are working on it, and we will keep you informed via this blog post.
The Wayback Machine will be offline from Friday evening, October 7, through Sunday, October 9, 2011. We expect the Wayback to be back in service by Monday morning (PST), October 10, 2011.
So, what’s up? Maintenance is being done on the data center and cooling system where a large percent of the Wayback’s content is stored, and we’ll need to shut off the power there for the duration of the work.
We aren’t making any changes to the Wayback Machine. When we power back up some time on Sunday, things should just start working again. If you are seeing any issues with the Wayback on Monday morning (PST), please drop us a note at info at archive dot org.