Aaron Swartz Weekend
by Lisa Rein, Cofounder and Coordinator, Aaron Swartz Day
In memory of Aaron Swartz, whose social, technical, and political insights still touch us daily, Lisa Rein, in partnership with the Internet Archive, will be hosting a weekend of events on Saturday, November 4th and Sunday, November 5th. Friends, collaborators, and hackers can participate in a two-day Hackathon and Aaron Swartz Day Evening Reception.
Schedule of events held at the Internet Archive:
Saturday, November 4th, from 10 am – 6 pm and Sunday, November 5th, from 11am – 5pm — Participate in the hackathon, which will focus on SecureDrop, the whistleblower submission system originally created by Aaron just before he passed away, and other projects inspired by Aaron’s work.
Saturday night, November 4th, from 6:00pm – 9:30pm — Celebrate and remember Aaron, and also the grand tradition of working hard to make the world a better place, at the Aaron Swartz Day Evening Celebration:
Reception: 6:00pm – 7:00pm – Come mingle with the speakers and enjoy nectar, wine & tasty nibbles.
Migrate your way upstairs: 7:10-7:30pm – Finish your nibbles and wine at the reception, exchange contact info, and make your way upstairs to grab a seat to watch the speakers, which will begin promptly at 7:30 pm – a half hour earlier than usual, because we have so many amazing speakers this year.
Speakers 7:30-9:30 pm (Break 8:15-8:30pm)
- Chelsea Manning (Network Security Expert, Former Intelligence Analyst)
- Lisa Rein (Chelsea Manning’s Archivist, Co-founder Creative Commons, Co-founder Aaron Swartz Day)
- Daniel Rigmaiden (Transparency Advocate)
- Barrett Brown (Journalist, Activist, Founder of the Pursuance Project) (via SKYPE)
- Jason Leopold (Senior Investigative Reporter, Buzzfeed News)
- Jennifer Helsby (Lead Developer, SecureDrop, Freedom of the Press Foundation)
- Cindy Cohn (Executive Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation)
- Gabriella Coleman (Hacker Anthropologist, Author, Researcher, Educator)
- Caroline Sinders (Designer/Researcher, Wikimedia Foundation, Creative Dissent Fellow, YBCA)
- Brewster Kahle (Co-founder and Digital Librarian, Internet Archive, Co-founder Aaron Swartz Day)
- Steve Phillips (Project Manager, Pursuance)
- Mek Karpeles (Citizen of the World, Internet Archive)
- Brenton Cheng (Senior Engineer, Open Library, Internet Archive)
Saturday, November 4th, 2017
10:00 am Hackathon
6:00 pm Reception
7:30 pm Program
Sunday, November 5th, 2017
10:00 am Hackathon
300 Funston Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94118
For more information, contact: