We have rebuilt all of our nearly 200,000 videos at the archive!
[We finished this Dec 1, 2008]
Related cross-blog with OLPC.
Here is a table-based chart of which video formats will be “derived” into which formats (we are creating 4 formats per video now):
Improvements and Changes from our prior movies techniques:
- We will make a new Ogg Theora (with Vorbis audio) opensource/free-based video derivative. This derivative will play natively in Firefox 3.1 release (v3.1 is due around the end of 2008).
- We are re/making h.264 MPEG-4 derivatives. We have updated the format to work with lighttpd “mod_h264_streaming” (which allows jumping into a movie at a specified time) but in the process will be losing the ability to serve/stream this file with RTSP. This derivative also plays in the Adobe Flash plugin and plays on iPods/iPhones.
- We are removing older 64kb and 256kb MPEG-4 derivatives. With “progressive download” support becoming ubiquitous, even modems and phones are doing much better with downloading larger files.
- We are removing older .flv “Flash Video” derivatives. Since the much better quality h.264 derivative plays in recent flash plugins (as well as many other devices and browsers), the flash video alternative is seen as less ideal.
- We are removing older .mpg MPEG-1 derivatives. Their usefulness has declined in recent years, especially compared to h.264 alternatives.
- We are remaking our animated GIFs. They attempt to make 30 thumbnails from each uploaded video. We now evenly space them across the entire video.
- We are remaking our Thumbnails. Similar to the GIF, we are spreading them across the videos better, and making less Thumbnails for items with *many* videos. Additionally, we are renaming the thumbnails to indicate the second position in the video they were created at. This will allow for the next bullet item…
- We have developed the ability to jump into videos by clicking on the thumbnail image (to go to that scene!) We are finalizing the URL / permalinks for these “jump into video” URLs and will release this live to the public as soon as we can.