It sounds simple enough for those familiar with the ubiquitous keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F…but it turns out that’s actually only 10% of you! So why use this feature when you’re browsing the TV News Archive of 500,000+ US TV News Shows? Several reasons:
Announcing the launch of the fully redesigned TV News Archive.
This research library, originally released in September 2012, is a free service provided as a way to enhance the capabilities of journalists, scholars, teachers, librarians, civic organizations and other engaged citizens. It repurposes closed captioning to enable users to search, quote and borrow from the Internet Archive’s collection of 500,000+ US TV news broadcasts aired since 2009.
The new interface has been designed to give users better access to this collection, and to provide new tools that enable users to share short clips from any broadcast and track play and share statistics of those clips over time.
Here’s a quick overview of the site’s features; we hope they serve you well.
Search transcripts of US TV news shows aired since 2009
- Search with topical terms to return shows with corresponding transcripts. Remember, you are searching the words spoken in the show.
- Use the advanced search tool (click the icon) to specify a network or show name, or sort your search results.
- Refer to the “info” panel throughout the site for details about your search results, related topics and other stats.
Scan and view show segments
- Shows are presented in 60 second segments, each with a video and corresponding transcript text.
- Scroll left and right to scan through segments of a show; search terms are highlighted in transcript text.
- To search within a show transcript text try Ctrl + F ( + F on mac) to search inside the page. (scrollable transcripts are coming soon!)
Share and embed short clips (aka quotes) from a show
- Shareable quotes are limited to 60 seconds. Refine your quote selection by clicking the “Edit” button and dragging the handles.
- Click a social media button (or 2x the embed button) to finalize and share your quote.
- Your quote will be assigned a permalink. You can always come back to see it!
Track popularity of show quotes shared over time
- Quotes with a unique start and stop time within a show will be tracked to see how often they are re-shared or played.
- View a specific quote by saving or sharing its unique permalink, or you can browse quotes from shows on the TV News Archive site by looking for the icon.
Borrow full shows on DVD
- Borrow shows (click the icon on any show detail page) from the Internet Archive library on a DVD-ROM for 30 days for a $25 processing fee.
- Internet Archive does not sell or license this content. Please note that this is a copyrighted work and performance, copying, or sale, whether or not for profit, by the recipient is not authorized.
—Cheers, from the TV News Team!